ICD-10-PCS 2021: The Complete Official Code Book helps coders use the PCS portion of the ICD-10 code set. The code set is laid out in easy-to-understanding tables sorted by type of procedure.
ICD-10-PCS contains classifications for procedures, devices and technologies.
ICD-10-PCS 2021: The Complete Official Code Book contains the complete ICD-10-PCS code set and supplementary appendixes required for reporting inpatient procedures. This illustrated code book presents the code set in 17 sections of tables arranged by general procedure type. Tables within the extensive Medical and Surgical section are additionally sectioned out by body system, indicated by color-coded page borders.
AMA's illustrated 2021 ICD-10-PCS code book contains these valuable features:
- Summary of changes — indicates how additions and deletions affect each section of ICD-10-PCS.
- Complete 2021 ICD-10-PCS code set — The code set is organized in 17 sections. Each section contains a code table by which a code can be built through character selections that reflect the procedure performed. A character meanings table and citations to American Hospital Association's Coding Clinic start each section.
- Official coding guidelines — instruct on appropriate use of the code set and its sections.
- Full-color illustrations — provide a visual explanation of anatomy and procedural approach.
- Approach illustrations show the access location, method, and instrumentation that determine the approach.
- Body parts with indicators to applicable code characters (provided immediately after the character meaning tables in the Medical/Surgical sections).
- Visual alerts — identify male/female procedures and new/revised character values.
- Detailed information on structure and conventions of ICD-10-PCS — explains the unique structure and the specific definitions and functions of each character while providing sample exercises (and answers) to practice your skills.
- Color-coding and symbols for the Medicare Code Edits — for the most comprehensive coverage of ICD10 MS-DRG MCEs for procedures, including:
- Non-covered procedures
- Limited coverage procedures
- Combination only procedures
- Non-operating room procedures affecting MS-DRG assignment
- Non-operating room procedures NOT affecting MS-DRG assignment
- Hospital acquired condition (HAC)-related procedures
- Procedure combination tables — identify ICD-10-PCS code combination requirements needed to satisfy certain MS-DRG requirements
Valuable resources to enhance your ICD-10-PCS coding include:
- Root operation definition table for medical/surgical section
- Root operation for medical/surgical section grouped by objective
- Operation/Type definition tables for other ICD-10-PCS sections
- Body part definitions and body part key for accurate identification of correct body part character
- Device key and device aggregation tables
- Approach definitions
- Substance key